Re: about the meson build systel

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: about the meson build systel
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 09:15:08 -0700

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

>>> BTW, how well does meson support cross compilation?
>>
>> it does support cross-compilation a lot better than cmake
>> on Windows (though compilation fails because of mmap) :
>
> Thanks for checking.

I've done some experimentation with 'picolibc', which uses meson for
doing cross compilation of an embedded C library. It took about an hour
to get things building under Windows using the armgcc packages for
windows and generating equivalent results to Linux.

I did have to install mingw though; meson requires a native C
compiler. I also ended up installing msys as my meson scripts used a few
POSIX utilities to extend the functionality of meson. I'm currently
using 'sed' to do some string editing that meson should probably support
internally, and 'ls' to check whether files exist ('test' isn't
available in msys); again, meson should probably have some internal
support for that.

Meson is a huge relief from using autotools in a multi-platform
environment as you can easily identify these kinds of platform-specific
usages -- they're all in explicit calls to functions for running
external commands...

--
-keith