Re: about the meson build systel

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: about the meson build systel
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 22:34:26 +0200 (CEST)

Hello David,

> - builds/meson/ftconfig.h.in: template versions of
>   ftconfig.h to be used by the Meson build. It is processed
>   by Meson, which will turn #mesondefine statements into
>   #define / #undef depending on build configuration.

having a meson-specific `ftconfig.h.in` file is not ideal.  I think we
should avoid that.

Please change that.  A simple solution could be to always create
`ftconfig.h` from a template even for a `make devel` or an autoconf
build.

Will check the rest of your code soon.

> Library size comparison for stripped libfreetype.so generated
> by all three build systems:
>
>   - Default build (autotools + libtool): 712 KiB
>   - CMake build (RelWithDebInfo):        712 KiB
>   - Meson build:                         784 KiB

Can this be improved for meson?

    Werner