Re: Blending non-color glyphs

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: Blending non-color glyphs
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 11:43:55 -0500

> > On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 8:29 AM Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > I like to compose multiple glyphs in a bitmap without using any graphics
> > > library.
>
> > So I wonder why don't you merge outlines and render them at once. This
> > might actually be faster.

Specific alternatives are:
1) Repeatedly call FT_Outline_Render using FT_RASTER_FLAG_DIRECT onto
a target bitmap.
2) merge outlines and call FT_Outline_Render once, which does not have
to be direct but needs preset bitmap.
3) merge outlines, call FT_New_Glyph and wrap them, call
FT_Glyph_Render to render

I have to say that FreeType does come too close to being a graphics
library. Let's make the interface decision in that direction very
judiciously.