Re: Blending non-color glyphs

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: Blending non-color glyphs
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 09:01:24 -0500

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 8:29 AM Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden> wrote:
> I like to compose multiple glyphs in a bitmap without using any graphics library.  I found that FT_Bitmap_Blend() does exactly what I want except that if none of the glyphs are color, it still promotes the image to a color bitmap.
>
> Would be nice to have another version that would only upgrade to color if necessary.

I think you just want to integrate (colorless) coverage values. Why do you call that blending? So I wonder why don't you merge outlines and render them at once. This might actually be faster.

Therefore, please do not create "colorless" FT_Bitmap_Blend, which is nonsense. You should have a separate function for that unless I misunderstood you.

Alexei