freetalk-dev

Re: [Freetalk-dev] PATCH: Freetalk!

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freetalk-dev] PATCH: Freetalk!
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:25:42 -0700

,----[ Harshavardhana Ranganath <address@hidden> ]
| * doc: new directory added for documentation.
| * doc/freetalk.texi: written and compiled succesfully added as
|   the first document.
`----
Great! I never expected documentation to kick in at this early stage
of this project. Your contribution will be very valuable.

,----[ Harshavardhana Ranganath <address@hidden> ]
| * doc/examples: examples directory moved from the main directory to
| the doc. Keeping in sense that it installs in the directory
| /usr/share/doc/examples/*.
`----
'examples' should ideally be under doc. But it is too late. Initial
checkin was done that way. CVS is stupid in managing repositories.
There is no permanent way to purge folders from CVS repository. We do
not have shell access to the server end repository. If not user has to
run update -P every time. I decided to leave the way it is currently,
Unless if you suggest me a better way.

,----[ Harshavardhana Ranganath <address@hidden> ]
| * doc/examples/Makefile.am: files freetalk.scm and init.scm now load
| from this directory.
`----
I removed init.scm from the repository. init.scm is a bad example. BTW
these example code is just siting in there. They are never loaded.

Few changes to the PATCH:
* When you submit a patch, checkout freshly from the CVS and make a
copy as freehoo-hacked. Do not run configure or autogen. Just make
changes and create a patch first. Then apply your patch on the
original and see if it applies cleanly. Build and test it after that,
at least once. If not auto-generated files like texinfo.tex, mdate-sh,
and CVS repository files like CVS/Repository, CVS/Entries and CVS/Root
will get included.

* It is convenient for the maintainers when Changelog is included as a
part of mail body instead of the patch itself.

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31