freeipmi-users

Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmiconsole fails on Dell M610

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmiconsole fails on Dell M610
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:16:50 -0700

Hi Fabian,

What version of FreeIPMI are you using.  It took me awhile to remember,
but I fixed a bug for a number of Dell machines (including M610) awhile
back.  The key issue was in the "Get Payload Activation Status
Response".

[              4Ah] = cmd[ 8b]
[               0h] = comp_code[ 8b]
[               0h] = instance_capacity[ 4b]
[               1h] = reserved[ 4b]
[               1h] = instance_1[ 1b]
[               0h] = instance_2[ 1b]

The

[               1h] = instance_1[ 1b]

tells me that the motherboard still has an SOL session active.  That's
not a big deal.  All I got to do is deactivate that session before
activating a new SOL session.  (Note that I do not know why your server
believes another session is active.  It could be another SOL session is
actually going or it's a bug in the IPMI firmware.)

However, what I found on Dell M610s awhile back was that ...

[               0h] = instance_capacity[ 4b]

this being 0 told me (effectively) that none of the information below
(most notably "instance_1") was valid.  So it was never read.

Looking the old NEWS file, I fixed this in FreeIPMI 1.1.2.  Basically,
if the instance_capacity is 0, I assume that the vendor actually means
it's "1".  If the vendor supports SOL, it makes no sense that it could
be 0.

I would be shocked if ipmitool bothers to check everything that I've
said above.  I wrote ipmiconsole and libipmiconsole with large cluster
environments in mind, so the expectations/needs are a lot "tougher" than
most people would require.  Subsequently, FreeIPMI finds a lot of
bugs/corner cases in vendor implementations.

Al