freeipmi-devel

RE: [Freeipmi-devel] Patch for SHA256 Support

From: Liebig, Holger
Subject: RE: [Freeipmi-devel] Patch for SHA256 Support
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:25:27 +0200

> Hi Holger,
>
> Thanks for the patch.  This was on my todo, but w/o a motherboard to
> test on, I just let it linger.

Freeipmi was a good counterpart for testing the BMC implementation, if only the
turnaround times for a make cycle would be shorter ;)

> I think you forgot to add the
> appropriate permutation of cipher suite/SHA256 into
> libfreeipmi/src/debug/ and the manpages in common/man/, but no worries,
> I can add that myself.
>
> Only one question, are cipher suites 15-17 defined in the upcoming DCMI
> 1.1?  ASAIK it hasn't been released publicly.  I have a tiny concern
> about committing something that is not yet finalized.  Or is DCMI 1.1
> finalized and going to be released publicly soon??

As far as I know, it is supposed to be published end of this month if there are
no major objections from others. There is no need to commit the patch before, I
just wanted to let you know that most of the work is done and if there is any
other feedback it's more than welcome.

Only Cipher Suite 17 in the mentioned combination (3/4/1) is mentioned in the
latest review copy of DCMI 1.1, that's why I skipped the other combinations.
There seem to be (strong) requests from DCMI customers to add a stronger
authentication algorithm than HMAC_SHA1, who knows why.

Too bad Intel forgot to add the Cipher Suite Numbers into the IPMI 2.0 errata
4.

Holger