[Freebangfont-devel] Re: Help/Advise sought on Bangla Unicode Word Proce

From: Kaushik Ghose
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: Help/Advise sought on Bangla Unicode Word Processing without transliteration
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:59:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Dev,
I'm cc-ing my reply to the bangla-font list, people there have a lot of
exprience in this kind of issue.

Win2000 probbaly handles unicode bangla, best is winXP.
office2000 I think is unicode ocmpliant if run on win2000 or higher.

Reasonably complete Open type bangla fonts are available from the free
bangla fonts project at nongnu
http://www.nongnu.org/freebangfont/

Using unicode will ensure that the material you put up will be rendered
correctly by all browsers. IE6 fully supports unicode (as far as bangla is
concerned - barring a few gaps in the unicode standard , which people are
trying to fill)

Unicode will not be mauled in any way through the uploading process,
especially if you use the utf-8 encoding.

Regarding editors for unciode on windows, I'm not so conversant with that.
Perhaps some people on the list may have suggestions.

A lot of people use yudit, but its interface is a little strange (for me),
but you can easily reprogram the keymaps. Yudit uses OT.

best wishes for your webpage
-kg

PS. Though Lekho uses adarshalipi for display it stores everything in
unicode, so it is possible to compose webpages in unicode using lekho
(albeit as a plain tetx editor, not a WYSIWYG html editor). Also, there
are files that come with lekho which you can modify to change the keymap a
bit.

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Dev D wrote:

> Hi Kaushik.
>
> Let me first congratulate and thank you for the excellent piece of work you
> are doing in creating a Bangla Unicode Editor. Since you have obviously
> worked a good amount on this kind of effort, I would like to seek your advice
> here on how to get large pieces of Bangla literary material up on to the net.
> Typically, I use Windows 98 and 2000 as OS, and MS Word 97 for word
> processing and Macromedia Dreamweaver 4 as my HTML Editor. I understand that
> I may have to make some alteration/addition to my resources for this purpose,
> but I can't switch to Linux easily now, which might have made things easier.
> Although, I have managed to find a few unicode Bangla fonts for Windows on
> the net, getting to generate 'consonant conjuncts' or "Juktakkhor" is not
> easy. And even if that can be accomplished, how can one guarantee that the
> same appearance can be retained through the HTML editor, the uploading
> process, all the way to the viewer's browser? I am averse to using
> Adarshalipi or simila!
 r software