[Freebangfont-devel] Re: [Ankur-gnome-tran] Re: Alignment of the glyphs

From: Sayamindu Dasgupta
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: [Ankur-gnome-tran] Re: Alignment of the glyphs
Date: 30 Apr 2003 14:13:48 +0530

On বুধ, 2003-04-30 at 10:06, Guntupalli Karunakar wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2003 22:50:38 +0530
> Sayamindu Dasgupta <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
> > Today, while working on the "Checking out the translations in
> > action" of the developers' guide, I was looking at the Bangla
> > desktop. Apparently, for some reasons, the glyphs are not getting
> > aligned properly, some of the letters are going up, while the others
> > are going down. However, for some of the fonts, there seems to be an
> > "optimal size" in which they do get aligned more or less properly.
> > For example, in Sagar, this value is 12.
> > (http://www.peacefulaction.org/sayamindu/banglaapps.jpg)
> >
> > Does anybody have any idea why this is happening?
> > Arun/Karunakar - does this happen in Malayalam/Hindi as well?
>
> On Redhat 8/9 its happening with both raghu & mangal fonts,
> but on Morphix (based on knoppix) with X 4.3 & Gnome 2.2 its not
> happening, I tried all font sizes, there were no alignment errors.
> Mandrake also showed results like RH. Not sure whether its font side
> issue or pango.

Apparently, this is a FreeType issue.
Compiled and installed FreeType 2.1.4
(enabled truetype hinting)
Works like a charm.
-sdg-

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta [http://www.peacefulaction.org/sayamindu/]

####[ GNU/Linux One Stanza Tip (LOST) ]#######################

Sub : Linux Commands (#4) LOST #056

For a newbie introduction to Linux commands and shotcuts visit