Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Linotype and copyright violation in Mukti

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Linotype and copyright violation in Mukti
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:56:26 -0600

On Friday 28 March 2003 11:44 pm, Anirban Mitra wrote:
> Dear members,
> Recently in VOLT discussion board it was told that the akruti
> multimedia glyphs we used in making Mukti is actually a plagarised
> version of Linotype font and the original copyright holders may
> initiate legal action for this. My question to the group is whether
> we should consider a threat in our free font development?

I don't think we are liable directly, but if it becomes clear that the akruti
glyphs are in fact copyrighted, we should stop distributing it.

I did go over the VOLT messages (not very thoroughly though) but I didn't see
any threat of legal action. Do you have any details ? I personally would very
much like that to happen, as it would help clear up the currently very murky
situation.