Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Bangla Unicode stuff!

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Bangla Unicode stuff!
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:49:17 -0600

On Saturday 01 March 2003 10:19 pm, Taneem Ahmed wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> > Let's consider the ra+hasanta+ya case first. This obviously seems to be
> > an instance of (2). Does anyone know of a real word which demonstrates
> > this ambiguity ? Taneem mentioned ra+hasanta+ya, but that's not a word.
> > And in any case, I don't recall ever seeing any bengali word which
> > started with a 'ra' where it was displayed as a 'reph', so if we really
> > are forced to take a decision about this, I would say ra + ya-phala. But
> > I would contend that we should _not_ worry about non-existent words.
>
> Sorry if I mislead you, I didn't mean ra+hasanta+ya as a word, but just as
> a sequence. It does not need to be the begining of a word. "karjo" (work)
> is an example of this sequence. There are many words with this sequence.

Yes, that's what I guessed, but I wasn't sure. My point was that in all the
real words that I can think of that has this sequence, there is no ambiguity
regarding which form (reph or yaphala) should be used, and unless someone
shows me one, I'm not convinced (but I _am_ flexible :) that this example
should be used as an argument for a new unicode codepoint for yaphala. The
sequence ra+hasanta+ya by itself might be considered ambiguous, which is why
I wanted to explicitly leave that out.