Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Bangla Unicode stuff!

From: Taneem Ahmed
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Bangla Unicode stuff!
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 23:19:38 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:

> Let's consider the ra+hasanta+ya case first. This obviously seems to be an
> instance of (2). Does anyone know of a real word which demonstrates this
> ambiguity ? Taneem mentioned ra+hasanta+ya, but that's not a word. And in any
> case, I don't recall ever seeing any bengali word which started with a 'ra'
> where it was displayed as a 'reph', so if we really are forced to take a
> decision about this, I would say ra + ya-phala. But I would contend that we
> should _not_ worry about non-existent words.

Sorry if I mislead you, I didn't mean ra+hasanta+ya as a word, but just as
a sequence. It does not need to be the begining of a word. "karjo" (work)
is an example of this sequence. There are many words with this sequence.

> Next, consider khondo-to. In my understanding, khondo-to is just a
> representation for ta+hasanta, when it is not combined with the following
> consonant, if any. This is handled well, in my opinion, by a halant form for
> ta in an opentype font, and ZWNJ. I don't see why it should be more special
> than the other consonants in bengali.

We don't need a new khondo-ta, but Unicode's standard has issues regarding
rendering. Please take a look at Andy's web page, he has detailed
information about this issue.

Taneem

Sarcasm: the last refuge of modest and chaste-souled people when the
privacy of their soul is coarsely and intrusively invaded.