Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Licensing issues

From: Deepayan Sarkar
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Licensing issues
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:31:00 -0600

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 09:52 am, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> The GPL states
>
>     b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
>     whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
>     part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
>     parties under the terms of this License.
>
> Does this mean that the fonts licensed under GPL would not be able to be
> installed in Windows?

Why would that be ? The paragraph above only concerns derived works, i.e.,
would apply when someone modifies a GPL'd font and then tries to distribute
or publish it. So,

1. As long as someone is just using the font as it is, without making any
changes, he/she is free to do whatever he/she wants with it, including
installing it on Windows.

2. When it comes to distributing it, that would have to be done under the GPL.
As the section below says, if it's distributed along with some other
application (which seems to be the relevant case here), it doesn't matter
what the license of that application is, as long as the font is licensed
under the GPL. This sort of thing is done all the time.

3. The only impact of the GPL is that if any of these third parties make any
changes in the font (which they are free to do any time they want), AND then
want to distribute it to someone else, they have to do it under the GPL and
only the GPL. And I personally think that this is a Good Thing.