fluid-dev

Re: [fluid-dev] parallel loading of soundfont samples

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] parallel loading of soundfont samples
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 13:19:16 +0100

Hi,

Am Fr., 30. Okt. 2020 um 02:09 Uhr schrieb Hamish Moffatt
<hamish@moffatt.email>:

> Beautiful! Over 6 times faster.

Great, thanks for testing it.

> In order to get the best out of modern CPUs we have to use
> more threads as the cores aren't getting much faster.

I think this is probably the best reason to consider parallel loading.
Moving more into the direction of parallel operations and reducing the
size of mutex protected code areas is going to help to keep fluidsynth
relevant in the future.

So in my opinion, doing the work to make the sample cache and maybe
even the whole soundfont loading mechanism work in parallel seems like
a good idea and worth the effort.

Cheers
Marcus