fhsst-bio

[Fhsst-bio] So it goes ...

From: Mark Horner
Subject: [Fhsst-bio] So it goes ...
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:05:15 -0700

Hi Nicole

Things have been very quiet lately across the FHSST volunteers - the flurry of activity 2-3 weeks ago pretty much exhausted the admins for a while and we've been catching up with our "day jobs". I typically dedicate Wednesday nights to the project and my routine
is finally restored.

I have been working on this project since September 2002 and I thought we'd have the physics book done in a month or two. Well, 30 months later we have 375 pages but I have never been able to speed things up - at least its almost done. My point is that if we just keep pushing things do happen.

So in the spirit of pushing on can we start putting together an outline of the syllabus and some guidelines for authors? I'll help out as much as I can and I'll put the guidelines on a webpage once we have them written up. The real work on the outline will be up to you though as my life sciences
knowledge is pretty meaningless.

Perhaps we could start with the human biology stuff from the syllabus as this is a hot topic
these days? The syllabus is:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/SA_NCS_Life_Sciences:Learning_Outcomes%2C_Assessment_Standards%2C_Content_and_Contexts#Proposed_content_4

I have a standard email I send out to departments at universities for
recruits and I'll change to wording to make it appropriate for life sciences departments and start sending it out (probably over the weekend). This usually results in 4 or 5 volunteers. You'd be surprised how reluctant people are to "distract" their students so there is never a flood
of volunteers but we should get a few.

How does that sound to you?

Cheers,

Mark