ff3d-users

[ff3d-users] Setting boundary conditions!!

From: Arun Viswanathan
Subject: [ff3d-users] Setting boundary conditions!!
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 13:30:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

sorry to be bothering you all again.  But please do
take some time of to go through the issue here. I'd
appreciate as many suggestions as possible, coz I need
all the help possible here.

The problem that I am trying to solve involves a
container carrying several drums, each drum consisting
of gases. Incase any of the drums leaks, I would like
to determine the concentration of the gas (as it
diffuses into the rest of the container) in different
pats of the container.

1. The trivial case to consider here is if there are
no drums, and I just want to determine the
concentration in different parts of the container. In
this case, the boundary condition will be that the
rate of change of concentration in the direction
normal to the container's walls is zero. So my
question is, how to set the condition as: dC/dx = 0
for a wall perpendicular to the x-axis and dC/dz -= 0
for a wall perpendicular to the z-axis??

2. The not-so-trivial case would involve the drums
within the container. Here, any gas that leaks (from a
drum) would find its way around the container (through
diffusion). But the additional boundary conditions I'd
have to provide here would be, if the gas hits a wall
of any of the drums, then the change in concentration
normal to that direction would be zero. How do I set
these conditions for the drums' walls??

Will appreciate all your ideas on how you think I can
attack this problem, how to define boundary conditions
for these cases. Thanks, best regards -- Arun.