Re: Particle moves out of box size

From: Jean-Noël Grad
Subject: Re: Particle moves out of box size
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 15:36:15 +0200

Dear Ahmad Reza,

The particle position is stored internally as two vectors: the position within the unit cell and the number of periodic images. The second vector is on average (0,0,0) and as such, most of the time the folded position is equal to the unfolded position. If you have an external field, the periodic images vector will increase in the direction of the field, and so will system.part[:].pos since it returns the unfolded position. You are probably interested in system.part[:].pos_folded:
https://espressomd.github.io/doc/espressomd.html#espressomd.particle_data.ParticleHandle.pos_folded

Please note that the espressomd.cluster_analysis.ClusterStructure algorithm did not always fold the coordinates of the center of mass. This bug was fixed a few days ago:
https://github.com/espressomd/espresso/pull/4363

Best,
JN