Re: [ESPResSo-users] Lattice Boltzmann boundaries in Espresso 3.1

From: Ulf Schiller
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Lattice Boltzmann boundaries in Espresso 3.1
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:18:47 +0100

Hi,

I don't intend to create any confusion here, but the fact that the lattice nodes now lie at half integer positions means that any boundary aligned with the main lattice directions has effectively an integer position. So the implementation should now be able to generate stick boundary conditions at positions 0.0 and 32.0 in Wolfgang's example. The shift of the lattice nodes has the rather nice feature that the half-grid offset of boundaries can be hidden under the hood and, in my opinion, the lbboundary command should produce boundaries at integer positions as specified by the user.

Interpolating the velocity field between fluid and wall nodes does not make sense, since the velocity at a bounce-back node is ill-defined. To linear order, it could be extrapolated to -u where u is the velocity of the fluid node closest to the wall. This would generate a smooth extrapolation for Couette flow but not for Poiseuille. The location of the boundary at half-grid spacing holds for both though.

So I'd suggest to revisit the implementation such that in the example the wall nodes lie at y=-0.5 and y=32.5, and the zero-velocity is located effectively at y=0.0 and y=32.0. If the user specifies a non-integer position, there is a choice to put the wall location to ceil() or floor(), possibly depending on the orientation of the wall. In this case, multi-reflection BCs would be better anyway.

Hope this helps and best wishes,
Ulf