Re: [ESPResSo-users] Lattice Boltzmann boundaries in Espresso 3.1

From: Owen Hickey
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Lattice Boltzmann boundaries in Espresso 3.1
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:36:08 +0100

Hi Wolfgang,

We modified the implementation of the LB nodes in order to allow for the use of verlet lists together with the LB fluid.  This means that LB nodes are now at multiples of half of the agrid.  Thus if agrid is 1 LB nodes are at 0.5, 1.5, 2.5, etc.  The boundaries are inserted using a bounce back scheme.  This is usually thought of as creating a hydrodynamic barrier which is half way between the bounce-back node and the free fluid node.  Thus if node 0.5 is a bounce-back node and 1.5 is a regular fluid node the hydrodynamic boundary is, to first order, at 1.

In your specific case the wall at 32 should make the node at 32.5 a bounce-back node and thus have velocity zero.  The boundary wall at 0.0 doesn't actually do anything but the node at 39.5 is a bounce-back node because all nodes greater than 32 are bounce back nodes due to the other boundary.  You should get reasonable results putting walls at 1 and 32 instead, creating 0.5 being a bounce-back node and all nodes above 32 being bounce-back too (e.g. 32.5 and up).  I hope that is at least clearer than the documentation.

Owen

p.s. you might notice a slight change in how the velocity profile looks as it now interpolates linearly between the fluid node and the bounce-back node.