Re: [ESPResSo-users] Command galileiTransformParticles

From: Owen Hickey
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Command galileiTransformParticles
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:12:50 +0100

Hello,

I am not familiar with system_com_vel although I would try:
puts [system_com_vel]

and see what it does.  Presumably it returns a list which you could
store in a variable instead of printing to screen.  For
galileiTransformParticles one simply needs to write that command with
no arguments to adjust the center of mass velocity to zero.  I am not
surprised that the system seems to drift without this using DPD as
numerical errors will eventually give the fluid a net velocity which
the dumbbell will follow.  The rotation seems a bit stranger.  The
reason that this does not happen with the Langevin thermostat is that
it is an implicit fluid with zero velocity (this is the
-friction*velocity term).  If you use both thermostats you should fix
the drifting problem but the Langevin thermostat will also kill
hydrodynamic interactions and thus defeat the purpose of simulating a
DPD fluid.

Hope that helps,

Owen