Re: [ESPResSo] Changing nonbonded tabulated interaction potentials in mi

From: Axel Arnold
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo] Changing nonbonded tabulated interaction potentials in mid-run
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:27:40 +0200

On Monday 23 August 2010 09:39:09 Steven R. Kirk wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm using tabulated potentials for calculating interactions between
> particles of a single species. I want to alter this potential mid-run,
> and I also want change the number of points where the new potential is
> tabulated (currently I get the error message:
>
> number of data points does not match the existing table
>
> )
>
> So can I do the following:
>
> inter 0 0 tabulated tab_pot1.dat
>
> Then later in the script do:
>
> inter 0 0 tabulated tab_pot2.dat
>
> ?
> Do I need to remove the first interaction before specifying the second?
> Are there any alternative means to achieve the same goal (if so, would
> be very grateful for details).

Hi!

I am not using tabulated potentials myself, but a quick scan of this code
shows that there is currently no way to change the number of points. The
reason is, that there is one table, in which all the tabulated values are
allocated, and if you would want to increase the number of points in one of
the stored potentials, then all the potentials stored afterwards would need to
be shifted, which simply isn't implemented and actually not so easy.

For your suggestion to delete the interaction: there is no way to delete an
interaction. There is a table of interaction parameters for pairs of particles
of certain types. Switching off a particular interaction simply means to set
its cutoff to 0, so that it is not used for this specific pair of types. But
there is no way to change the number of points in a tabulated interaction back
to 0.

Axel

--
JP Dr. Axel Arnold Tel: +49 711 685 67609
ICP, Universität Stuttgart      Email: address@hidden