Re: [ESPResSo] Bond Broken & NPT Simulations

From: Olaf Lenz
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo] Bond Broken & NPT Simulations
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:31:23 +0100

Hi!

Salvador Herrera Velarde wrote:
I ran my first simulations with skin = 0.4 and different number of processors [4,8,16], however, due to the size of the system and the charges the simulation was very slow. So, I tried to increase the number of processors to 32,64 but always I got the same message (Bond broken....) and the system crashes even during the thermalization (NVT + capped forces and No Electrostatics).

This is indeed the same as Jacob had, and the answer is the same as Axel gave in
http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/pipermail/espresso/2009-November/000484.html

In my case the maximal range of interaction comes from the electrostatic interactions, and the cutoff radio is automatically optimized by ESPResSo using the command:
inter coulomb $bjerrum p3m tune accuracy $acc r_cut 0 mesh 0 cao 0

You stated above that there was no electrostatics during thermalization, and it already happens there. Anyway: why do you think the rcut of the electrostatics is the largest? Usually, rcut in that case is not very big, as it is only the rcut of the short-ranged-part of the P3M algorithm. So I would guess that it still helps to increase the size of rcut of the harmonic potential.

Olaf