erc-discuss

Re: [Erc-discuss] Retroactively toggle time stamps and IRC notes

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: [Erc-discuss] Retroactively toggle time stamps and IRC notes
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 20:35:50 +0600

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 15:10:24 +0200
Morel Pisum <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> is there a way to *retroactively* toggle time stamps and/or IRC notes
> (like joins, parts, quits, kicks, nicks and modes etc.) (for either all
> buffers at the same time or for just the current buffer) such that I can
> hide or make them visible whenever I want?
>
> I'd appreciate *any* idea, opinion, comment, advices, criticism and
> solution. Even if it's just an "I don't know.". :-)

I haven't seen such a feature advertised, and it indeed sound very
interesting and useful.
I'd also add "messages from ignored users" to that list, since I have
to go to logs for these sometimes.

I wonder if it should be possible to hide text with some
text-properties set completely (i.e. not just same-color font/bg), but
I imagine it should be - worst-case you should be able to reduce font
and make this text unnoticeable.

And the properties (I think) are already there, that's why you see
system messages with different color, so it might be just a matter of
customizing style of these, or maybe adding some more distinctive ones
for some messages.

If you'll find the feature, or get around to implement it, I'll be
very interested to hear about it.
Otherwise, I'll probably look into it myself when I'll have more spare
time on my hands, thanks for the idea.

Also, I'm probably bad with emacs terminology, as I tweak elisp only
occasionaly, so please substitute (mis)names of the features I've
described above freely.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net