erc-discuss

Re: [Erc-discuss] Re: Why I cannot connect to freenode irc server?

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: [Erc-discuss] Re: Why I cannot connect to freenode irc server?
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:02:21 +0200

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 21:28:57 +0800, Misskiss <address@hidden> wrote:
>> If this fails, then try one of the alternate IRC server ports, like
>> 10000.
>
> well, this time it shows "connecttion time out"...
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "make client process failed"
>   "connection timed out" :name "erc-irc.freenode.net-10000" :buffer nil
>   :host "irc.freenode.net" :service 10000)

Then I am afraid it's not an ERC problem.  Something seems to be blocking
your connections to the standard IRC ports.  It may be a firewall or some
other networking issue.

Are you trying this from a network that may have restrictive rules for the
services of the `outside world' that are accessible?  Some work networks
put such restrictions in place, and it may be possible to talk to the IT
people to unblock the ports for you.