erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] Re: New erc-status branch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: [Erc-discuss] Re: New erc-status branch
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:30:03 -0700

>>>>> "Andreas" == Andreas Davour <address@hidden> writes:

Andreas> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Michael Olson wrote:
>> I've made a new branch called "erc-status" which has Tom Tromey's
>> erc-status.el file.  This will show a status icon in the notification
>> area of the system tray.  It requires the application of an experimental
>> RFC patch posted to emacs-devel to enable systray support.

Andreas> What the heck is a systray?

The system tray is an area in the panel where status icons appear.  It
may also be called the "notification area".  It shows up in the
standard Gnome and KDE panels.  There's an XDG specification for it.

For ERC the basic idea is to have an icon that will flash when someone
mentions your nick, the way X-Chat does with xchat-systray-integration
installed.

If you're on Windows or the Mac, then you are out of luck until
someone ports the systray code to those platforms.

Tom