erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] Re: Some questions on logging

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [Erc-discuss] Re: Some questions on logging
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:21:28 +0200

Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:

>>    [camelCase in logfiles]
>
> Hmm, it looks like we already downcase the buddy's name when deciding
> the log filename to use.  Can you specify the names of the two
> logfiles that are being made for the same buddy?  Feel free to
> anonymize the names if you like -- I just want to get a general idea
> of what is going on.

Strange. I applied your tip from below (slightly modified, because the
buffer-names don't end with localhost), and all log files are lowercase
now...

So it seems fixed. Maybe I had misconfigured erc when I noticed the
described behavior.

> Also, it would help to know what operating system you are using.

GNU/Linux.

>>    [How to restrict logging to buffers matching a regexp]
>
> Do something like the following.
>
> (defun my-erc-log-bitlbee-buffers (buffer)
>   (string-match "@localhost$" (buffer-name buffer)))
>
> (setq-default erc-enable-logging 'my-erc-log-bitlbee-buffers)

Great, thanks a lot. Because "localhost" isn't part of the buffer-name I
modified it this way, which works great for me.

,----
| (defun my-erc-log-bitlbee-buffers (buffer)
|   (string-match "^[^#][^:]+$" (buffer-name buffer)))
| (setq-default erc-enable-logging 'my-erc-log-bitlbee-buffers)
`----

Now there's only one last thing which irks me. ERC logging really speeds
down emacs remarkably. Every message I receive and any line I respond
seems to be synched to disk immediately.

I think a better approach would be to only save the buffer when you kill
it. All erc-kill-*-hooks contain `erc-save-buffer-in-logs', so this
approach seems implemented. So why the constant syncing?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
[Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
beautiful.  -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_