epix-users

Re: [ePiX-users] bounding box problems on linux amd64

From: Andrew D. Hwang
Subject: Re: [ePiX-users] bounding box problems on linux amd64
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:58:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, P. T. Kornman wrote:

This probably an os problem, but I thought I would ask the group. I
recently started using Debian testing amd64 on an intel core2 duo
notebook. I have noticed that the picture sizes are now page sized
rather than the requested smaller size. An example would be Andy's
calculus.xp in sample subdirectory of the distribution. This problem has
occured in 1.0.24, 1.1.18 and the latest 1.2.0 release. This problem
does not appear on the 32 bit Debian Testing. Any help/hints/suggestions
would be appreciated.

Internally, a file undergoes the conversions:

xp -[epix]-> eepic
   -[latex]-> dvi
   -[dvips]-> ps
   -[ps2epsi]-> epsi
   -[sed]-> eps

Here are some ideas to isolate the problem.

* Compare calculus.eepic compiled on amd64 with that compiled on a 32 bit.
  They should only differ in the time stamp (first line of the comment
  block); if that's the case, epix isn't at fault. :)

* On each platform, compile the eepic file with "elaps -ps" and compare
  the BoundingBox of the PostScript file with that in the eps file from
  "elaps". They should be different. If they're not, ps2epsi looks guilty.
  (elaps' use of sed doesn't touch the BoundingBox.)

* Compare your ps2epsi scripts on the two platforms (by diff-ing). For
  some reason, one-byte errors near the bottom of the file seem to creep
  in with regularity.

  If the scripts differ, try copying the 32 bit machine's ps2epsi to the
  amd64 and compile the eps file manually from the PostScript file:

  ./ps2epsi calculus.ps calc_test.epsi

  Compare the BoundingBox with that in calculus.eps from elaps. If they're
  the same, ps2epsi seems not be the problem; I'd then suspect dvips.

  Repeat, copying the amd64's ps2epsi script to the 32 bit machine.

Hope that's helpful,

Andy

Andrew D. Hwang                 address@hidden
Department of Math and CS       http://mathcs.holycross.edu/~ahwang
College of the Holy Cross       (508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
Worcester, MA, 01610-2395       (508) 793-3530 (fax)