Re: Enigma 1.30 beta

From: Sidney Markowitz
Subject: Re: Enigma 1.30 beta
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 15:18:54 +1200

The macOS build of Enigma 1.30 beta is coming along fine.

I've been able to test my changes on Mac and Linux, but I don't know how to build on Windows to ensure I don't break anything. The doc/README.mingw32 file still contains instructions for 32 bit build and SDL 1.2, so I assume that it is not current. Or should it all just work if I follow those instructions using SDL 2 instead of 1.2?

What I have so far:

The Homebrew formula builds Enigma so it can be launched from the command line, without building an Enigma.app bundle. This should allow the formula to meet all the requirements to be accepted into the Homebrew core distribution once there exists a stable 1.30 release (they don't accept betas).

The formula successfully runs in Github's actions for Homebrew, which means that pre-built Homebrew "bottles" of Enigma will be stored on Github so that Enigma will be installed using Homebrew without users having to compile from sources.

The formula successfully works in Homebrew for Linux.

When the formula is used to build Enigma from the git repo instead of the release, it automatically runs make dist to produce a distribution source tarball.

Homebrew core does not accept anything that create an app bundle. I'm creating a formula that will live in a Tap on our Github project that you can use to install a command enigmabuilddmg that will bundle the command line copy of Enigma into an Enigma.app and create a distribution dmg file. The app bundle will contain all required libraries to allow it to run on a Mac that does not have Homebrew installed.

Regards,

 Sidney