Re: Re : Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on Android?

From: Erich Schubert
Subject: Re: Re : Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on Android?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:07:33 +0100

Hi,
> Well, just to say that it would be a great idea if only because Java is the
> platform used on Nokia phone, and then there would be a phone version... I am
> teacher and this morning one of my pupils asked if it was possible to make
> Enigma run on a PSP. I wonder if he wold not like to make it himself, we
> shall see...

It still is a lot of work to do, especially if you want to stay
compatible with Enigma. For example, you would also need to port the
lua programming language from C to Java ...
I'd not volunteer for that right now ...

> While I am at it I wonder if it would possible to make Enigma versions of a
> "Scottish puzzle" like the ones here:

I know them by the name "Einsteins riddle", although Wikipedia calls it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_Puzzle
I've even created one like this myself for a math students magazine,
and tried to make it not too easy either. It's on my homepage, but in
german only.

> I was thinking of a meditation level where the table would be filled with the
> white marbles,

I do not understand how this would work with a "medidation" style
level, which usually means moving all marbles at the same time.
Instead I'd put in an item generator where the user can produce some
marker items for himself to make solving easier.
In addition, he would get the appropriate number of "solution" items
that he needs to place in the correct squares.

This should be doable without much effort, if you implement a single,
pre-defined puzzle. You should try to make sure it doesn't include
translation-sensitive rules (such as "starts with the same letter
as").
Auto-generation is far from trivial, at least if you want them to be
somewhat fair in difficulty and the statements to be translatable and
non-trivial. Generating a randomized permutation of
a challenge should be a bit easier.

> Also, I don't remember how to make a translation: I found some "mo" files but
> they seem to be compiled or krypted. Is anyone making a French translation?
> If not, what do I need to make it? And for the french version of the manual?

They are compiled. Use the source files, included in the source code.
Not sure about the process for the manual, if it also run through
intltool.

best regards,
Erich Schubert