Re: [Enigma-devel] problem with Enigma

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] problem with Enigma
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 19:23:25 +0200

Hi,

Kitty Choy schrieb:
I have installed Enigma version 1.01 on my Windows XP, but it won't start up.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting my computer, and any
combination thereof, but nothing worked out.  This was since yesterday
(Saturday August 2).

Every time I tried to open up Enigma, my mouse icon goes briefly busy (ie. with
the hourglass), but a few seconds later, it goes back to the normal mouse icon
and nothing happened.  There's also no changes that I can see in my Windows
Task Manager.

I just tried installing Enigma version 1.0, and the same thing occurs.

Would you be able to help me out?  I really like the game and want to play it!

Ah, hmm ... okay, what I would think of as possible causes:

1) Are you using Win XP Professional? In this case, you might have
   problems with Windows' right management: You either installed
   as super user and can't play as normal user, or tried to install
   as normal user, which is blocked. However, Windows should inform
   you about this problem, so I think this's unlikely.

2) Enigma might be blocked by some security software. We know that
   Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 blocks Enigma as Enigma is
   considered to be a "key logger". If Kaspersky is set to some
   kind of "quiet mode", it might block Enigma without leaving a
   message. In this case, you should add Enigma to Kaspersky's
   "trusted zone". Maybe you're using some other kind of security
   software - in this case we'd like to hear, which, and whether
   Enigma works after deactivating it.

3) Your download might be corrupt. Once in a while, it happens
   that a download is damaged. You should do a second download
   (from Berlios, to make sure it's the real Enigma):
     http://download2.berlios.de/enigma-game/Enigma-1.01.exe
   deinstall the old and try to install the new one instead.

If all this doesn't work, we'll use "enigma --log" on the command
line to see what Enigma said itself, or try to install Enigma
without using the default installer (just by copying the binaries).
But first, please try the three points above.

Best greets,
Andreas