Re: [Enigma-devel] Programming

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Programming
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:00:53 +0100

Hi Tom,

Tom Davies schrieb:
I am planning on learning an additional programming language. I already
know BASIC to a reasonable degree, and Visual Basic basics. What
programming language would be a good idea to learn, in order to help out
more with enigma?
The application itself is written in C++, which is quite
difficult to learn, but worthwile. However, if you're working
on Windows, it might be difficult for you to compile the
application, compared to Linux. There's always need for
simple things to be done in C++.

As the levels are written in XML/Lua, I think it would be
reasonable for you to get a deaper understanding of XML
and Lua. With these, you could test the new API in "real-
world" levels. Actually, we could use someone to write a
bunch of simple Lua-routines for the new API, like
draw_rectangle and such things. Well, Lua is not that
important as C++, and you'd probably not learn as much,
but faster.

Besides programming languages, you can have a look at
Texinfo, the format of our manuals, or get a deeper
understanding of Wiki, to support our EnigmaWiki, which
will have to be overhauled for the 1.10 release.

My suggestion is: Take a look at the source code of the
application. Most simple are those parts, where the game
objects are defined. Documentation of C++ is all over the
internet. Try to get a grasp of how C++ looks and thinks,
and then, after a week of impressions, decide whether
you're willing to take this step. (Next lesson would then be:
How to compile an application ...)

Best greets,
Andreas