[Enigma-devel] joystick, keyboard input methods

From: Clarence \"Sparr\" Risher
Subject: [Enigma-devel] joystick, keyboard input methods
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:22:24 -0600

As started with my 320x240 support code, I am working on multiple
independent patches that will make enigma work on various platforms,
particularly the gp2x handheld.  To that end, my next step is going to
be in the realm of input devices.  Last time I did this I wrote some
very hacky code to direcly poll the device's buttons (including
joystick directions) and trigger the appropriate mouse/keyboard event
handlers.  This time I hope to produce a more general solution.  I
want to make the game friendly to using any input device (keyboard,
mouse, joystick) for any type of input (marble movement, hotkeys, menu
navigation, etc).  Playing the game with a d-pad (as on the gp2x) or a
joystick is a very different experience from playing with the mouse,
so I want to ask here if there is any sort of philosophical objection
to a change like this?

PS: If you haven't played my old gp2x port, what I did for marble
movement was to make the d-pad act like constant-speed mouse movement
in the given direction, and then i made two modifier buttons to change
the mouse sensitivity on the fly.  About 80% of existing levels are
solvable with this control scheme, and I hope to refine it this time.