Re: [Enigma-devel] Finnish translation

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Finnish translation
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 13:21:51 +0200

Hi all,

I spoke with a third Finnish gamer about the translation. Although
he admits to be unsure about the quality of translations of other
applications, he wrote the following about Enigma's translation:

 "Those translations feel like "word-for-word" or "dictionary"
 translations instead of "real" translations.

 In many cases that is OK, and in most cases they are understandable,
 but not always."

In conclusion, we should keep the Finnish translation as a whole,
but repair it where neccessary. He pointed out the following
examples:

- "Poor little blackball" should not be translated as "Weak little
 blackball", but as a sign of commiseration: The gamer has to
 restart at this point.

- The "pack" in "levelpack" should not be translated as "pakka".
 Please, both of you, find a better translation.

- Absolutely neccessary is the removal of the swear word as translation
 for "Goshers". "gosh" is no swear word in English, but a minced oath.
 "Goshers" is no word at all in English. Please replace the name of the
 antagonist in "The Aztec Temple" by the original "Goshers".

Kari, can you provide further problematic entries?

However, we shall not remove the translation as long as noone has
enough time to rework it completely. I'd be happy if you two could
cooperate and patch the translation at least in the most needy places.

Best greets,
Andreas