[Enigma-devel] Re: Mac performance problems on some levels

From: Sidney Markowitz
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Re: Mac performance problems on some levels
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:37:36 +1200

Ronald Lamprecht wrote, On 1/6/07 9:33 AM:
> Hi Sidney,
>
> After finishing 1.01 without any urgent error reports being posted I
> would like to address some remaining tasks. We did receive several
> reports concerning serious performance problems with a few levels that
> seem to be Mac specific.
>
> The most common level is "Bright Dots" (Enigma III#38). Please read
>
> http://www.mag-heut.net/blackball/index.php?act=ST&f=9&t=703
>
> Taztunes did report the same problem for "Deserted Island":
>
> http://www.mag-heut.net/blackball/index.php?act=ST&f=14&t=775

Sorry for the delay in getting a PPC trunk build to test with, but I
have it now.

Results with Bright Dots:

Runs fine on my 2GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook with 2GB RAM running MacOS
10.4.9 in all three versions of Enigma, 1.0, 1.01 and trunk

Note in that thread about this, the last comment was from someone with
an Intel Mac with twice the cpu power and twice the memory as mine who
still had the slowdown problem. So raw power or Intel platform is not
the issue.

Enigma 1.0 and 1.01 were unusably slow on a 1.25GHz PPC eMac with 768KB RAM

The good news is that Enigma trunk ran perfectly fast on it.

I could not find Deserted Island to test and I can't seem to access the
forum message about it:

"The error returned was:

 -- sidney