Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: Mac performance problems on some levels

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: Mac performance problems on some levels
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:17:37 +0200

Raoul wrote:
Results with Bright Dots:

Runs fine on my 2GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook with 2GB RAM running MacOS
10.4.9 in all three versions of Enigma, 1.0, 1.01 and trunk

:-)

Note in that thread about this, the last comment was from someone with
an Intel Mac with twice the cpu power and twice the memory as mine who
still had the slowdown problem. So raw power or Intel platform is not
the issue.

Enigma 1.0 and 1.01 were unusably slow on a 1.25GHz PPC eMac with
768KB RAM

The good news is that Enigma trunk ran perfectly fast on it.

That is great news :-)

It confirms my assumption that the SDL - Mac implementation causes the problem when too many (unnecessary) SDL calls are made. I did drastically reduce the number of calls in the Enigma display part for multiple actor levels in the trunk version.

Sidney could you please start the trunk version on both Macs with the option "--showfps". Please try to play "Bright Dots", "Deserted Island" and "Wolf Among Sheep" (Development Group, Experimental Levelpack) on both Macs with approximatly the same marble speed and report the average fps values shown on the screen. I would like to know if there is still a critical difference in both Macs.

David did report to me:
No noticeable improvement running 'Bright Dots' under Enigma 1.01 on my
Macs.(3 - one tower, one powerbook, & one iMac)

@Sidney - can you please give me access to your trunk compilation as I would like it to be tested by David, Ale and Taztunes, too.

Thanks,

Ronald