[Enigma-devel] Duplicating Levels (was Re: 4 bugs in Enigma)

From: Tarim
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Duplicating Levels (was Re: 4 bugs in Enigma)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:14:35 +0000

Raoul wrote:
Now, you are right that the crosslinks were a core concept of the new
levelpack handling.

But I thought, it could be important that every Oxyd levelpackage is
totally independent of the others.
To do this, we must use real copies of the levelfiles and can't just
linkt all to one single copy.

Ah, Tarim understands the concept now. Though he isn't sure he entirely agrees with the way it is implemented. Wouldn't it be better to have the attribute of "independence" as part of the level package itself, rather than try to kludge it on to the individual levels by, essentially duplicating files with new IDs?

Done this way, you could have level packs which you could turn on attributes of, "must do all levels", or even, "must do all levels in order". Then, if you're someone like Tarim, you can just turn the attribute off and not have to do the level again or if you're someone who is into genuine Oxyd compatibility you can set the attributes accordingly.

(If the enigma.score file was xml then perhaps this would be easier to change - you could always encrypt it to stop people il-editing it when they shouldn't ;-)

But don't worry - it's not really that big a deal and Tarim is sure you can all find more interesting things to implement.