Re: [Enigma-devel] Translation manual to Russian

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Translation manual to Russian
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 14:00:48 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Юрий Жиромский" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 2:42 PM
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Translation manual to Russian

Dear developers of Enigma project,

First of all let me say you thanks for such puzzle-game as Enigma!
I like it very much, and because I want to make it more understand for Russian users by making translate of manual. I already start translating and I see that manual write in simple English without any hard words for me. Please answe me on such question: Do you wish that I help you or this task already in use another volunteer?

I'm not aware of anybody currently working on this. If anybody is, I would guess it would be Dremuk Serge address@hidden, who worked on the tranlsation for the main game. Obviously if nobody else is working on it, we would welcome a translation of the game.

If your ask will be "Yes", please also write me what I must doing with such terms as "GNU", "General Public License", translate it(I can because I use Linux distribution at least 4 years and read and understand them) or no?

I belive it is customary to leave those untranslated. The term GNU is left untranslated because it is the name of a project. and "General Public Licence" is left untranslated because it is the name of a Copyright Licence. I'm unaware if it is common for Russian language manuals to include a translated or transliterated version of those terms in addition to the originals. If it is common, than I would suggest doing that. Based on the Russian translation for the game, it looks like that is not normally done.