[Enigma-devel] Finnish Translation/Localization

From: Mikke
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Finnish Translation/Localization
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:24:10 +0200

(This is my first time sending a mail onto a mailing list, so I hope this message arrives properly.)

After playing Enigma (And Oxyd of course) for a long time, like 1-2 years, and even sending score files for rankings, I started to have some interest to develop the game somehow, but just using very simple methods. I have created some levels for testing, for example, but I did write this message for some other use.

I would like to write a Finnish translation of the game. I haven’t started yet but I have a feeling I might even accomplish it some time. After browsing some similar issues about translations into other languages, I have came across to a point where you would need to modify the enigma.pot file into another language and that would do the translation.

I was a bit unsure about this, so I have a couple of questions about this. First, is it really so that just modifying enigma.pot file into a <country>.po file is enough? Do I need any specific tools for translation, excluding notepad? Is there any way to test the language without any 3rd party tools? (As the localized versions are in .mo file a notepad can’t read very well.) If not, which tools would I need to test out the language translation? Also, is it recommended to use my real name or could I use my internet nick for contributes?

Pardon me for poor English, but hope you’ll understand my point. Please let me know if I have missed something.

Cheers.

~Iceshark7~