[Enigma-devel] Re: Enigma 1.00 - request for level updates

From: Tacvek
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Re: Enigma 1.00 - request for level updates
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:26:04 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ronald Lamprecht" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; "Tacvek" <address@hidden>
Cc: "enigma-devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 3:22 PM
Subject: Re: Enigma 1.00 - request for level updates

We can display and handle any character contained in our font.
Internally we use utf-8 from XML parts, frontend to the SDL GUI - no
limitations besides the font itself.

But the keyboard input is another subject. There have been many requests
to the SDL team. You will find info on the mailing lists, f.e. the
following thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.sdl/22249/focus=22349

I fear we will need to write our own solution. Accuatlly I did add the
small case German Umlauts for Linux by a small hack.

It seems to me all one needs to do is update SDL to properly supprt it.
The messages in that thread appear to indicate that only characters
composed using dead keys is a problem. So we need to make sure
that the unicode field of keyboard events returns nothing on a dead
key, and the correct composed character on the second key press.

Johannes Schmidt mentions that X11 requires X clients to handle Dead keys,
which is why SDL does not support it.

He mentions using XLookupString.  Apparently
XmbLookupString has existed since X11R5 and
will happilly support dead keys, so it should be possible
to fix dead keys under X11 with some code change.

If there are problems with international charcters on
systems other than X11 (including other Linux SDL modes),
then other changes may be nessisary to fully support those platforms.

Johannes Schmidt mentioning of implementing the input meathod protocol,
would be absurd as AFAIK that is X11 Specific, and X11's problems with
dead keys can be fixed by using XmbLookupString.