Re: [Enigma-devel] crashes on linux gcc exception handling

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] crashes on linux gcc exception handling
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:57:08 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ronald Lamprecht" <address@hidden>

Hi,

Tacvek schrieb:
[snip]
Is that all correct?

All with the following remarks to the last two sentences: Keep in mind that the usage of Lua is optional and thus no C++ engine code besides the functions in lua.cc should throw lua_error. Uncritical exceptions can be handled anywhere - before lua code, within lua code, or after lua code (before the final level exception handler).

Yeah, you are right. I was forgetting modularization. I will say that lua is definately not optional,
but never-the-less could potentially be swapped for something else.

So use of exceptions converted to lua_errors by code in lua.cc seems fair enough.

That is definately something to be done in the future.

Agreed.  And I don't think there is any need for immediate action; but
error handling inside the level code is something we should definitely
keep in mind.

O.k. - let us switch the configure option to enable-cxxlua as default for all OS and keep in mind the possible improvement.

Ok.

Patch for that is attached. I tested all configurations so I'm pretty sure I got
it right.

The only problem is that tolua++ won't build under C++ (actually I almost got it to work, but because of the inclusion of the SDL cflags and libs in the default c++ cflags and libs, it would not quite build right when cross compiling.)

Thanks.

Until you are able to deliver a patch for the tolua++ build, developers can compile it with "--disable-cxxlua" as I explained in "doc/README.mingw32".

I have what is more or less a solution.
It uses symlinks, because that is the easiest way to satisfy automake.
Before applying the patch you should simlink "tolua.c" and "toluabind.c" to
"toluacxx.cpp" and "toluabindcxx.cpp". (svn add them, of course)

If it is preferable to avoid symlinks, I have a few other things I could try, but this current way does seem to work.