Re: [Enigma-devel] Loss of lifes in Debian 0.92.1-1 enigma releases

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Loss of lifes in Debian 0.92.1-1 enigma releases
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:51:03 +0100

Hi Erich,

Let me hope that you do not use the current r71 trunk version as 0.92.2

Sorry, it's r71. Should I do another upload with revision r66 or so?

I can not recommend using any trunk revision >70 for playing Enigma. You may loose all scorings you achieve with these versions!

Let me give all of you some insight into the trunk development process:

I noticed the "loss of lifes" misbehaviour in Oktober, checked that 0.92 is o.k. and scheduled the fix for later, as I knew that my code could not have been the reason. After Christmas I played some new levels for testing the current development version and got annoyed of the bug. Thus I spent some time on January 1st for tracking the reason and commiting the fix without checking any external buglists because I assumed that only developers have been influenced. As no one did fix the bug before me it seemed not to be important for them.

Or look at the r71 patch: It is a huge one with about 55k diffs - that means several hundred lines of code changes and additions. I commited it on Sunday primarily to update my other workareas and start testing the native windows compile. I am aware that I did brake the OSX installation procedure and it is likely that such a large change will need some smaller corrections. (Nevertheless r71 looks quite stable.)

Thus taking an arbitrary trunk revision and publishing it as a new Debian version with quite official looking numbering is a risk. You have good chances to end up with less than the official 0.92 release.

Wouldn't it be preferable to provide a stable release after each major release cylcle to Debian users? The current stable Debian Enigma release seems to be 0.81 based.

The unstable release should contain a unmistakable note about the origin and the status. Asking the authors of the last patches for a suitable revision before checking out and publishing would help.

Concerning r71: I would have suggested r70. r71 looks as stable as r70 but introduces .enigmarc3.xml on users home directory. This file may be incompatible to future revisions.

The secure update procedure for theses incompatiblities is simply manually removing these new ".xml" files (there will be more) before starting a new revision - this leads to an update from the 0.92 user data.

If you stick to r71 or publish further interim releases it is up to you to inform the Debian users about this unsupported update procedure.

Well, scoring is not that serious, is it?

Not for me and many others. But there are people asking all the time where to publish their scores to be mentioned in the next release.

r71 saves the score still in the old .enimgarc2 which will be autoupdated with next major release.

best regards,

Ronald