Re: [Enigma-devel] Scroll mode problem

From: Moon Pearl
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Scroll mode problem
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:45:09 +0200

>You're looking at it from the perspective of a level designer.
>
>However, you need to look at it from the perspective of the player.
>Removing the one-column overlap means that you can't see what the
>square is that you're about to move into.
>
>Sure, you as the level designer might know that the next square is
>perfectly safe, but the player doesn't know that. The next screen
>might be filled with pits, and he'd never know.

Aawww, come on... You're right when you say the player doesn't know what
awaits him, but what's the point in making such a level ? If the squares
that can't be seen aren't safe, then the level is just unsolvable ! Plus,
Karen asked for a new scroll mode in a particular case that doesn'"t fit
these conditions.

>When you're designing any interface, you need to make it consistent,
>and you need to make it, for lack of a better word, friendly. I think
>that removing the overlap goes against both these points.

And we're not forced to remove the overlap in EVERY landscape...

Aurore.