[Enigma-devel] Re: Oxyd revival

From: Cellar of Rats
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Re: Oxyd revival
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:47:45 +0200

That's definitely wrong. You cannot patent game ideas in Europe.

Yes, that's true for Europe, but I was speaking generally. ;)

Only things having a technical representation in 'real world' may be
patented.

Is this enough technical? "Moving a ball with a mouse and touching stones, with some stones that when touched reveal a glyph, with the goal to find and open groups of two stones with same glyphs", followed by a technical explanation of what the ball is, what is it's digital (virtual) representation, what the stones are, what the glyphs are, obstacles, what they do and how they behave, etc... :D One attorney once told me, in discussion over patents, that "anything concieved and invented by man" can be patented, providing it's somehow useful and inovative. The absurdity of some patents, he said, is laughable. And many program implementations are already patented. Take JPEG and MP3 algorithms for example, or many Microsoft protocols, or many Internet related protocols and even concepts like hyperlink, which, as far as I remember, was later dropped. And it's never too late. Look at what happened with LZW and GIF. MP3 was additionally patented as well, AFAIK. And you could claim that Enigma is a particular software that enhances memory, motoric coordination, logic and problem solving skills, etc... (useful and inovative)

Yes, yes, far fetched maybe, but you never know... ;) I'm just saying it is not categorically impossible.

Vlad