Re: [Enigma-devel] Copyrights

From: Ralf Westram
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Copyrights
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:48:19 +0100

Hi Daniel,

>> 2. Everything else may be freely copied, distributed and modified
>> according to the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (see <filename_of_GPL>).
> Sure, if there is no other solution, we may have to resort to something
> like this.  The problem is that this will make Enigma non-free.  There
> are a few problems with this:
> - Who _is_ allowed to modify these files?  Only Ralf? Only team
> members with CVS write access?

I think nobody. We don't have the right to change the plain level data.
We may only use it (where "using" includes the conversion into .lua
files).

Everything else is done in the ralf_sokoban.lua code and that one is
GPLed.

> - Even if we put the Sokoban levels into a level pack, we probably
> would not
> be allowed to host the packages on the nongnu server.
> Is there a chance that we can get the Sokoban levels licensed under the
> GPL?
> What are the exact conditions under which we may distribute the
> levels?

I read my email exchange with David once again and I think we are
allowed to distribute the original level packs. But we are NOT allowed
to change them.

On his website (http://users.bentonrea.com/~sasquatch/sokoban/) he writes:

# My sets are available here in text format. Click on a set, then save
# it as a text file for use in your Sokoban program. These sets may be
# freely distributed provided they remain unchanged and credited with my
# name and email address.

I have a perl script which 'compiles' the Sokoban levels from
these original files.

Do you think including the original sokoban files plus the perl script
would be a better solution? Or wouldn't that change anything?

cu
Ralf

P.S.: I send you my emails with David as attachment.

--
The day Microsoft makes something that does not suck,
is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners.