[Enigma-devel] Cooperation with Oxyd developers? Was: Original Esprit/Ox

From: g_freiherz
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Cooperation with Oxyd developers? Was: Original Esprit/Oxyd Sounds
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:53:05 +0200

>> Jürgen Piscol (or Meinolf Schneider) may (or may not) have the
>> copyright on them. I believe the author would give them to the
>> public domain if asked.

> I was under the impression that that was out of the question. That's
> why I started producing new sounds.

Dongleware (the producers of Esprit and the Oxyd series) is a German
company. Being German myself I could contact them and try to find out
what they think about Enigma. Maybe they cooperate, maybe not. Maybe
they send all media files and source code, maybe they try to sue
someone. I just can't tell.

On their website www.dongleware.de, they say:
> After more than 10 years of game development and distribution we
> have suspended the sale of our entertainment software in early
> 2002. We are now focussing on internet programming and webdesign.
>
> Please understand that we are no longer able to offer support for
> our historic product range. The expanding internet activities now
> require our full attention.
>
> We didn't get rich producing and selling games like Oxyd and Bolo,
> but we are enriched by the experience of sharing these games with
> you.

Obviously, Meinolf Schneider does not have the intention of selling or
supporting Oxyd style games any more. Enigma can only add to his fame.
Chances are he will cooperate with the Enigma project as long as it
does not cost time and he gets credits.

Is it supposed any risk if I contacted him? Is there a possibility
Enigma uses anything he has copyrights on? I don't think he would try
to sue anyone anyways, just a question.

And would it be very helpful if he cooperated? The sound files are
7kHz, 8-Bit, mono - not exactly a great sound experience. I believe
the Enigma level format (LUA) ist radically different from the
original. Anything else, Enigma developers could use? Physical
formulas and constants used, special stones, the original black/white
stone graphics, ...?

/Peter/