Re: [Enigma-devel] enigmarc.lua vs. Registry on Win32

From: Ralf Westram
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] enigmarc.lua vs. Registry on Win32
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:16:11 +0100

Hello Martin,

> All settings and information about finished levels is written to a lua-file
> that is (on unix) placed in the users home directory.
> On Windows this config is located in the folder where enigma is installed,
> because there is no environment variable HOME on Windows (by default) and ~
> does not work either.

For me it works perfectly, the config is stored in ~/.enigmarc

> We have got two approaches to solve this issue:
> a) Retrieve the proper Application Data folder.
> b) Use the Windows Registry to save the settings.
> a) is easy to implement but needs to be done
> b) is done and working fine for me under Wine.
> If there is no concern about using the registry I'll commit my patch in a
> few days.

I think it's better to use a file because:

- this survives windows re-installations
- you can link to that file if you use Enigma for Linux on the same
machine

Ralf

--
Particle physicists are always trying to hold a meeting,
but whenever they decide on a place, the time changes.