emacsconf-org

Re: Etherpad preparation

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: Etherpad preparation
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 19:44:41 +0100

Hi Sacha, hi all!

Sacha Chua (sacha@sachachua.com) wrote:

> Hello, Karl, all!
>
> I've updated the pad template and copied it over to
> https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/emacsconf-2020 (Amin - I added the dash in
> the URL that you asked for). It includes a link to the conduct guidelines
> and a CCBY-SA license. The Wikimedia one feels a little prettier than the
> CCC one, but they look about the same feature-wise, so I'm okay with using
> the CCC one if that's what you prefer. =) Karl, do you want to make the
> decision, since you did a great job with the pad last year?

This looks much nicer that I had in my mind ;-)

Wow, thanks for populating the pad with the template. You are giving
me a hard time to contribute to this event myself ;-)

> Once we settle on a URL, let's:
>
>    - update the participation instructions at https://emacsconf.org/2020/
>    - update the IRC topics in #emacsconf and #emacsconf-org
>
> We'll probably get questions on the pad and in #emacsconf. We'll ask
> speakers to keep an eye on the section in their pad, and we can give them
> questions if needed (Amin, that might be you).

I can assist here as well.

May I ask why you chose to have the newest question to be put on the
top? ("Put your questions here, most recent on top") For me, it
seems unnatural as the questions might develop over time and with
the progress of the content of the talk ...

> If people can hang out in IRC and copy things over, that would be
> great.

If we settle for one single point of truth for questions (pad or
IRC), I'm happy to "sync". However, we need to inform the attendees
and the speakers where they need to look at.

I personally tend to focus on the pad since its structure is
"topic-related" somehow and not just time-oriented like the IRC. But
I'm not very religious here.

> It might be easier to keep
> track of IRC questions if we can get people used to adding something before
> their question, like Q: (or Q<talkID>: if there are parallel tracks). We
> can also announce talks by pasting in the first couple of lines of the talk
> section into IRC - ex:
> 27: State of Retro Gaming in Emacs - Speaker(s): Vasilij "wasamasa"
> Schneidermann
> Talk page: https://emacsconf.org/2020/schedule/27
>
> Does that sound like it might work? =)

Yes. That sounds like a good approach.

I added a TOC on top, a few highlights via bold and general feedback sections
at the bottom.

--
Karl Voit