emacs-tangents

Leaving Freenode behind

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Leaving Freenode behind
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 22:13:19 +0200

> Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 5:28 PM
> From: "Jean Louis" <bugs@gnu.support>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: "Stefan Kangas" <stefan@marxist.se>, emacs-tangents@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Leaving Freenode behind
>
> * Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2021-06-23 00:10]:
> > > How do you mean: free software will not spread? It runs now the
> > > majority of Internet, people pay for VPS-es, it is just everywhere,
> > > well spread.
> >
> > Because the non-profit obsession is basically a dislike of those who are
> > successful.
>
> I cannot agree as I worked in many non-profits. It is not about
> disliking others rather the difference in motivation. I never have
> seen anybody in a non-profit disliking people or members who are
> owners of a company with profit. In fact, those businessman were
> respected for their deeds.

You are correct.  It is not about non-profits disliking business.
It is about those people who only value non-profit.

It’s not hard to start a nonprofit. The barriers to entry is pretty
low.  It costs a few hundred dollars and a few hours. But then what?
Running a nonprofit and growing it to a size where it can effectively
serve something takes resources.

I know what you're thinking. You're looking at the amount of
money that's being raised by organizations that are fighting to
protect rights and freedoms threatened in the current political
climate. Surely your idea will be worthy of some of these
donations. Yes, it's true that donating has become a thing. And
it has significantly benefited a handful of organizations. But
those organizations have some infrastructure already in place to
be able to handle increased demand.