emacs-tangents

Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 10:57:25 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: ams@gnu.org, eliz@gnu.org, bugs@gnu.support,
>       arthur.miller@live.com, ulm@gentoo.org, emacs-tangents@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 01:41:30 -0500
>
>   > If you are making an emphasis on never mentioning "wrong" programs, you
>   > make a conscious choice toward ignoring them, as opposed to studying
>   > them and overtaking them.
>
> Of course.  We intentionally, specifically, avoid mentioning obscure
> nonfree programs as options to be used.

Providing information about a program is not "using" that program.

> (We may mention them to condemn them.)

So there _are_ situations where mentioning such packages is okay.
repology.org is a site that would allow us do that, by providing the
information we need to use for the decision of whether they should or
shouldn't be condemned.  Therefore, I conclude that repology.org does
a job that is useful for us, and we shouldn't refrain from using that
site, definitely not as a dogmatic postulate some people here
presented.