emacs-tangents

Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 23:17:43 +0200

On 07.01.2021 23:07, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
If the goal of the GNU project is to eliminate non-free software, why

Eliminate it by ignoring it, I take it.

should it help you, or anyone else in finding such software?  You can
find it on your own, nobody is stopping you -- but why should the GNU
project or projects under its umbrella who have their main goal of is
getting rid of such software work against its own goals?

Because we live in a real world, and we solve real problems, and it's very often useful to how others solve it.

You might also want to look into the origins of GNU.

Don't tell me there wasn't any research done into existing proprietary software during that time. I don't see why it's suddenly a bad strategy these days.